Listen above, at the Podbean site, or on your favorite podcast app.
Iceland is fiercely proud of their Yule Lads. But not everyone knows about the 13 stand-ins for Santa in the northern mountain island. So I get into their celebration and history with Heidi Herman and Benito Cereno.
Heidi has written multiple books about the Yule Lads for children as well as books on Icelandic folklore and culture.
- Heidi Herman’s Yule Lads Website (Yule Lads Legend)
- The Legend of the Yule Lads
- The Icelandic Yule Lade Mayhem at the North Pole
- The Guardians of Iceland and other Icelandic Folk Tales: The Guardians, The Trolls of Vik, The Monster Worm, Drangey, the Sealskin and more
Benito Cereno was on the podcast last year to talk about Christmas comics. He’s written for a number of comics franchises (including The Tick), but he’s also a fascinating Christmas historian. He’s also the cohost of the pocast Apocrypals, where two non-believers read the Bible and talk about its history.
Links mentioned on the show:
- “Jólasveinarnir” by Jóhannes úr Kötlum (the original poem in English translation)
- Brian Pilkington’s illustrated book Yule Lads
- The National Museum of Iceland’s Yule Lads celebration
- “Worrying” heh heh
If you liked this and want more:
If you like the cards and the podcasts, consider subscribing on Patreon. I’m putting out podcasts all year round, most with Christmas info but also major and weirder holiday stuff throughout the year. There are also other treats like real postcards sent you throughout the year and other treats. Go to Patreon and search for Weird Christmas or just click here:
Christmas ca be about anything.
idt it can